10.22.2007

church attire

I am a female and I wear pants to church. Shoot me.

I know a lot of people probably think that this is not a big deal at all (which it isn't), but to some people it's obviously a huge deal.

OK... let me start off by saying that, yes, I am aware of a verse of scripture that says something along the lines of a woman shouldn't dress like a man and a man shouldn't dress like a woman. The first thought that pops into my little brain when I read that is this: What did the men wear in biblical times? Robes and sandals. What did the women wear in biblical times? Robes and sandals. So, unless they had gender specific colors they had to stick to, I'm thinking that a couple could pretty much share a chest of drawers.

Next... yes, I am aware of the common argument that nearly always beams in at this point in the conversation. "The Bible is God's word for ALL ages... not just Bible times." And I couldn't agree more. BUT... doesn't that mean that it would have had to be applicable THEN as well as NOW? And besides that... the verse doesn't say that women shouldn't dress like men (and vice versa) WHEN THEY GO TO CHURCH. If it's wrong for a gal to wear pants at church, it's wrong EVERYWHERE.

Therefore, I am lead to believe that the particular verse of scripture in question is speaking to transvestites, drag queens, and other various and assorted circus folk.

I don't mind wearing skirts and dresses in the summer time, my main complaint is with the requisite hosiery necessary in the winter time. You haven't been uncomfortable until you wear a good pair of panty hose. And knee/thigh highs are no better.

I do, however, have just a few particular arguments against skirts and dresses:

1. They can be indecently too short. If pants are too short, you might show your ankles (gasp). And in my opinion a nice pair of dress slacks is dressier than a too short skirt or dress any day.

2. While too tight pants are tacky, a too clingy dress is going to show things that ought not to be noticeable no matter where you are.

3. You're never going to see a slip hanging out of a person's pant leg.

4. If you want to be really prudish about it, a dress shows off the feminine figure moreso than a nice pants suit. I'm not that prudish... I like to wear dresses now and then.

5. And finally, when a woman crosses her legs, you're never going to see up her pants leg.


G'day

*Written on 8/20/2006

No comments: