10.22.2007

materialism

When will people realize that stuff doesn't matter? At least for some, not until the stuff is gone.

I am amazed at this dually minded society I'm living in. There's a new hippie age coming on - this idea of "less is more," supposedly, thrift store clothes wearing, long haired ridiculousness. It's a new rebellion for kids to leave their posh, hand-fed homes, off to college, and put off their parents ways. Yet, how many people I see everyday, walking along in their holey, threadbare clothes, while talking on their RAZR and ALWAYS, not-for-a-second without their precious Ipod.

Hey, I have an idea... let's start a commune. Let's grow our own food... hang on, we don't really know how to grow food. Well, let's just set up our commune really close to Kroger, then. OK... let's make our own clothes... well, not really sure how to do that either... that's fine, let's just go to Goodwill and get, ya know, whatever we can find. And let's not bring any electronics or modern conveniences with us. But... I think my ears will close up if I don't have ear buds in them, and if I can't watch Grey's Anatomy I think I'll just die.

Ugh...

I should interject that I have nothing against Goodwill/thrift store clothing. It's just this double lifestyle. The less-is-more/more-is-great lifestyle. It bugs me...

I guess what bothers me more, though, is the ultra-material syndrome that is also raging on college camupuses. People are paying close to $100 for blue jeans with holes in them. They come with holes in them. Plain old polo shirts are over 30 and 40 dollars because they have a moose or an alligator on the front. A purse that you could maybe carry a pill bottle and some lip gloss in can set you back over $200. People leave notes on people's pictures on Facebook, etc. saying they are "so f'in cool" because of what they're "rockin'." I don't understand the lingo either, but that's another post.

I remember a time when I was concerned with brand names. Yes, there was a time when I had a problem with "mixing" name brands. It's called high school. It's called being a superficial, stupid, mentally underdeveloped little teenager. The importance of brand names lessened for me when I started having to pay my own way; that really brings things into perspective.

But since then, I've realized how unimportant things are in general. I won't deny that I like STUFF just as much as the next gal, but I certainly don't base my stuff-preferences on what is or isn't going to be a status symbol. I admit that I have too much stuff, but I just buy the things that make me happy... never what I think is going to make me fit in or whatever.

Good silver is tested by fire and the dross (the stuff that isn't "good silver") is consumed by the fire. Someday, we're all going to be tested by fire and the only thing that will last is what has been forged by the Master. Everything else will just burn.

*Written on 9/23/2006

No comments: